Thursday, July 10, 2014

Three Attempts at a Depot Roof

Here are all three attempts I made on this roof, ending with the correct one on the top of the depot. The first two had problems -- first, the printout from Kinko's was too glossy, even after being sprayed with matte fixative. Makes it look like it just finished raining. (The glossy printouts worked fine for the porcelain signs on the sides of the depot, though.) Second problem: the further up I went with the strips of shingles, the more cattywampus they became.

To solve the first problem, I decided to print the shingles on my home inkjet printer. Then I sprayed the whole sheet with fixative so I wouldn't have to worry if the water-based glue smeared a little.

I solved the second problem by opening the GIMP and adding some horizontal lines to the underlayer of the roof. It was a little like snapping a chalked line would be in the real world.

I let just a bit of the shingles hang off the edge, then trimmed them back to the thickness of the green trim I'm using on the rest of the building. When I add the trim, it will go just under the shingles.

I edged all the cardstock with a neutral grey Prismacolor felt tip pen. Bleeds a little, but not enough to be seen on the printed side. 

I cut off about 900 little white triangles of paper in the making of the shingle strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment